This transports me way back to the time when I made my first batch of maamoul. It was a DISASTER!!!!!! Somehow I miss wrote the ingredients; or maybe, just maybe, that special someone that gave me the recipe "accidentally" left out one simple but important ingredient: H2O. So my first maamouls were a greasy mess filled with deliciously spiced dates. In the years to come I tried new recipes, retried the old ones, and in the end perfected my own that gives my family heavenly goodness each time I pull out a tray of baked maamouls from the oven.
MAAMOUL (35 cookies)
All the ingredients for maamoul can be find in the international section of your local grocery store or in any international grocery store that carries Middle Eastern foods.
Ingredients for dough:
2 cups semolina flour (fine wheat meal)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup of melted vegetable shortening
1/4 cup of olive oil
1 cup war, water
1 tsp yeast
3 tbsp powdered milk
1 tsp rose water
1/2 tsp grounded nutmeg
1 tsp pumpkin spice
Mix together semolina flour, all-purpose flour, powdered milk, and spices. Pour vegetable shortening and olive oil over the mixed dry ingredients and stir well to combine. make sure that all the dry ingredients are thoroughly moistened. Let sit for about half an hour, so that semolina flour has the time to absorb the fat.
Dissolve yeast in a 3 tbsp of water and make the dough using all remaining water.
Ingredients for filling:
3 packs of 8 oz. baking dates
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp cinnamon
Mix all the ingredients together into a smooth mass.
HOW TO MAKE THE COOKIE
1. Preheat oven to 425*F.
2. The proportion between dough and filling has to be 2:1, so you can easily wrap the dough around the filling.
3. Press the dough ball on your palm into a circle, squish the filling between your fingers, and place it onto the dough.
4. Wrap the dough around the filling, forming a ball in a size of a walnut.
5. Press the maamoul into the mold and lay the cookie on the tray.
6. Lower the temperature to 350*F and bake thee cookies for 20 minutes. turn the oven down and turn on the broiler and let cookies in the oven for additional 3 minutes until golden browned.
7. When cookies are completely cooled down, powder them with confectioners sugar.